CITY TREASURER’S DEPARTMENT
The City Treasurer’s Department is the Financial Hub of the Port of Spain Corporation, technologically advanced, dedicated towards proper accountability, financial autonomy and offering financial services.
STAFFING – 59 Employees
- One (1) City Treasurer
- One (1) Accountant 111
- Three (3) Accountant 11’s
- One (1) Paymaster
- Three (3) Accountant 1’s
- One (1) Cashier 111
- One (1) Clerk IV
- Seventeen (17) Accounting Assistants
- Six (6) Clerk 11’s – One (1) Clerk Stenographer 11 – Seventeen (17) Clerk 1’s – Two (2) Clerk Typist 1’s – Three (3) Messenger 1’s
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To Analyse, design and implement systems of control to ensure efficiency, economy and the prevention of fraud.
- To ensure that all action is taken to collect and deposit into account, all monies due to the Port of Spain Corporation.
- To maintain proper Creditors’ Ledgers to ensure that all liabilities of the Port of Spain Corporation is met.
- To maintain proper Debtors’ Ledgers so as to ascertain liabilities due to the Port of Spain Corporation.
- To authorise for payment all requisitions and vouchers on behalf of the Port of Spain Corporation.
- To prepare all pay sheets with respect to Salaries & Cola, Wages and Cola, Pensions & Cola and Remuneration to Council Members, ensuring that all employees of the Coporation are paid on the stipulated deadlines.
- To prepare and authorise all cheques on behalf of the Port of Spain Corporation.
- To ensure that all records are kept accurately, in totality and securely and that all expenditure incurred are in accordance with all governing laws and regulations.
- To prepare the Annual Budget.
- To request and obtain Releases of Funds on behalf of the Corporation.
- To prepare and submit Financial Statements to the Council, the Chief Executive Officer, the Ministry of Local Government and the Auditor General
To provide information and offer advice when requested by the Council or the Chief Executive Officer.
- To Make available any information requested by the auditors during an audit of our accounts.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CITY TREASURER
- The overall management of the City Treasurer’s Department.
- To ensure that all internal and external Financial Reports are submitted within the required deadlines.
- Signing of the Financial Statements.
- Working together with the Accountant 11 to prepare the Annual Estimates.
- Monitoring the spending patterns of the entire Corporation to avoid overspending or under spending.
- Ensuring that all employees are paid on the stipulated pay dates
- Supplying information of a financial nature when requested by Council through the Chief Executive Officer.
- Ensuring that documents and explanations are provided to Internal and External Auditors during an audit.
- Supervising and dealing with problems that staff may be experiencing
- Signing as a Second Signatory on vouchers.
- Signing as a Second Signatory on cheques.
- Approving all requisitions for Minor Equipment Purchases and Development Programme Projects.
- Preparing the financial statements./li>
- Approving Recurrent Requisitions up to a limit of 25,000.
- Signing as a First Signatory on vouchers.
- Signing as a First Signatory on cheques. Investigating and reconciling balances on the General Ledger Account.
- Preparation of Monthly Statements for the Crematorium, Assembly Hall, Tennis Courts and Public Conveniences.
- Maintaining the Cash Book for the Mayor’s General Fund.
- Preparing the Bank Reconciliation Statement for the Mayor’s General Fund.
- Supervising officers in charge of the Cashier’s Cage, Abstracts and Accountant 11 of the Funds Accounts.
ACCOUNTANT 11 BUDGETS
- Preparing the Monthly Revenue and Expenditure Statements.
- Requesting Releases on a quarterly basis.
- Requesting any other adhoc releases after the quarterly releases have been requested.
- Working together with the City Treasurer to prepare projections at the beginning of the Financial Year.
- Preparing Vote Allocations and submitting these to the Vote Book Clerks at the beginning of the Financial Year.
- Working together with the City Treasurer to prepare the Mid Year Review Statement.
- Working together with the City Treasurer to prepare Recurrent Estimates.
- Signing as a First Signatory on vouchers.
- Signing as a First Signatory on cheques.
- Preparing Bank Reconciliation for the Central Bank Account
- Preparing VAT Statement
ACCOUNTANT 11 FUNDS ACCOUNTS
- Signing as a First signatory on vouchers.
- Signing as a First signatory on cheques.
- Maintaining Cash Books for the Road Improvement Fund, Infrastructure Development Fund, Abercrombie and Fixed Deposit Accounts.
RESPONSIBLITIES OF ACCOUNTANT 11 – FUNDS ACCOUNT