INTERNAL AUDIT DEPARTMENT
To be the model Internal Audit Unit providing independent objective assurance and consulting activities to the management of the Port of Spain Corporation through the efforts of a committed, professional and highly motivated staff.
To provide quality Internal Auditing Services to aid management in achieving organizational goals with due regard to efficiency, economy and effectiveness.
The Internal Audit is required by law. The Financial Regulation 1965 states that “Each accounting unit shall have a check staff and an independent Internal Audit Section”. In the Port of Spain Corporation, The Accounting Officer is the Chief Executive Officer (C.E.O.). The Internal Auditor reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The staff of the Internal Audit comprises:-
- 1 Auditor
- 1 Auditing Assistant
- 1 Clerk II
- 1 Clerk
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The purpose of the Internal Audit Department is to examine all activities of the Port of Spain Corporation (the Corporation) is order to prvide management with appraisals guidance and recommendations with respect to the whole system of control, financial and otherwise, established by management for the achievement of the organization’s goals and objectives.
Auditable Activities include:-
- - Financial Audit Cash surveys, vote book checks, and examination of pension and leave records, salary and wages records and traveling allowance.
- - Stores Survey Divisional Headquarters Main Stores – Terre Brulee Disaster Preparedness Unit
- - Public Convenience Woodford Square St. Ann’s Brian Lara Promenade
- - Inventory Checks All Department and Institutions
- - Field Audits are conducted at various Institutions of the Corporation and include operational audit and system reviews. Audit findings from the basis of the report to the C.E.O. on the effectiveness of systems, procedures and internal and internal controls.
The Internal Audit also liaises with external agencies such as, The Auditor General Department, The Personnel Department and the Ministry of Finance on matters pertaining to terms and conditions of service, terminal benefit and government accounting.